Dan Bastasic joined iA Clarington in 2011 and is the lead portfolio manager for the IA Clarington Strategic Funds and IA Clarington Tactical Income Class. He specializes in equity income, high-yield corporate bonds and investment grade corporate bonds.
Prior to joining iA Clarington, Dan was a lead portfolio manager on several equity-income, fixed-income and balanced mandates at a large Canadian investment firm. Previously, he was an analyst at a large Canadian utility company.
Dan has over 20 years of investment experience. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce (finance) and Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Windsor, and the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation. He is a member of the CFA Society Toronto.
Read Dan's monthly commentaries.
Dan aims to provide investors with stable income options. He uses a value-oriented, bottom-up approach for both equities and fixed income and constantly monitors and fine tunes his portfolios by maintaining a 12-month strategic outlook on the markets.
Key features of Dan’s approach:
- Focus on absolute returns
- High-conviction, value-based security selection
- Fundamental-driven valuation and quantitative analysis
- Macro analysis of systemic risks and opportunities
- Risk management through diversification and currency management
- Safety of income.
- Cash flow sustainability.
- Earnings consistency.
- Quantitative analysis.
- Business and industry analysis.
- Income statement and balance sheet analysis – liquidation value scenarios.
- Estimate of net asset value.
- Discounted cash flow analysis:
- What is the firm worth privately?
- What are the assets actually worth?
- In a liquidation scenario or in a takeover scenario, what is the firm worth?
- Comparison of company to industry multiples – market valuations, ROE, earnings vs. the market.
- Doesn’t buy based on P/E or book value alone.
- Portfolio based on value and margin of safety.
- Focus on core holdings within each sector.
- Absolute return focus.
- Due diligence (tour companies).
- Deep industry understanding.
Catalyst for change
- Dan and his team look for a catalyst or a “free option” with potential investments; these are pockets of value or expected business changes that may not be reflected in the current price of the security.
Dan's investment philosophy
- IA Clarington Strategic Corporate Bond Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income Class
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income GIF
- IA Clarington Strategic Income Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Income GIF
- IA Clarington Strategic U.S. Growth & Income Fund
- IA Clarington Tactical Income Class
The markets have had a great start to the year, and the conditions for continued positive momentum are beginning to take shape...Read summaryLire le sommaire
The last month of 2018 was a difficult one for equity investors, but for Joe Jugovic, it was a perfect opportunity to top up his positions in some of his favourite value names.
Market turbulence and economic headwinds have many investors on edge...Read summaryLire le sommaire
This past year was a challenging one for investors, but Clément Gignac believes opportunity lies on the other side of recent volatility.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Rising rates are a sign of late-cycle economic strength, and historically that means value stocks are poised to outperform. In this video, David Taylor provides an update on what he’s seeing in the economy and markets and touches on some of the big issues making headlines, including the trade war and energy price weakness.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Many investors are concerned about recent market volatility, but not so for portfolio manager Peter Prattas.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Finding opportunity in an elevated risk environmentFinding opportunity in an elevated risk environment
Market volatility and slowing global economic growth are widening the gap between winning and losing asset classes and securities....Read summaryLire le sommaire
Growth stocks have been outperforming for some time, but conditions are ripe for a rotation into value...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Capturing alpha opportunities across the market cycleCapturing alpha opportunities across the market cycle
In this wide-ranging video commentary, Eileen Riley provides an update on the performance of IA Clarington Global Allocation Fund...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Rising interest rates and widening spreads have been major headwinds for many fixed-income funds recently...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Many industry analysts suggest we’re in the later stages of the current market cycle...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Being a disciplined value investor requires an ability to break from the crowd and invest amid widespread pessimism...Read summaryLire le sommaire
We’re well into the advanced stages of the business cycle and bull market, but Clément Gignac believes there’s little reason to worry about a recession or major market downturn. ..Read summaryLire le sommaire
Outperforming the market requires fresh, original thinking that ignores the constraints of conventional approaches to assessing a stock’s value...Read summaryLire le sommaire
The global bond market is much more favourable today than it was two years ago, but it remains a highly challenging environment that calls for deep research and a selective approach...Read summaryLire le sommaire
The conditions businesses are operating in are transforming rapidly, with wide-ranging consequences for investors...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Today’s challenging markets will test even the most seasoned stock pickers, but the right process can help...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Time to embrace socially responsible investing (SRI)Time to embrace socially responsible investing (SRI)
The growing popularity of SRI is no accident, as more and more investors now understand ...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Finding value in today’s small-cap market is no simple task, but with the right process...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Global equity market valuations are high, but there’s still value to be had...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Synchronized global economic growth and healthy fundamental conditions make high-yield corporate bonds...Read summaryLire le sommaire
It wasn’t so long ago that investors feared the U.S. equity market was overheated and out of gas...Read summaryLire le sommaire
It’s never easy to go against the crowd, but that’s exactly what Larry Sarbit does...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Companies have been sitting on piles of cash for years, but they’ve been reluctant to use it...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Synchronized global economic growth is likely to continue through 2019...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Active InsightsPoints de vue actifs
Market Insights - Dec 20, 201820 Dec 2018
- Sep 19, 201819 Sep 2018
Market Insights - Aug 8, 20188 Aug 2018
Market Insights - Jun 22, 201722 Jun 2017
Market Insights - Nov 21, 201621 Nov 2016