Dan Bastasic joined iA Clarington in 2011 and is the lead portfolio manager for the IA Clarington Focused Balanced Fund, IA Clarington Focused Balanced Class, IA Clarington Strategic Funds, and IA Clarington Tactical Income Class. He specializes in equity income, high-yield corporate bonds and investment grade corporate bonds.
Prior to joining iA Clarington, Dan was a lead portfolio manager on several equity-income, fixed-income and balanced mandates at a large Canadian investment firm. Previously, he was an analyst at a large Canadian utility company.
Dan has over 20 years of investment experience. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce (finance) and Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Windsor, and the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation. He is a member of the CFA Society Toronto.
Read Dan's monthly commentaries.
Dan aims to provide investors with stable income options. He uses a value-oriented, bottom-up approach for both equities and fixed income and constantly monitors and fine tunes his portfolios by maintaining a 12-month strategic outlook on the markets.
Key features of Dan’s approach:
- Focus on absolute returns
- High-conviction, value-based security selection
- Fundamental-driven valuation and quantitative analysis
- Macro analysis of systemic risks and opportunities
- Risk management through diversification and currency management
- Safety of income.
- Cash flow sustainability.
- Earnings consistency.
- Quantitative analysis.
- Business and industry analysis.
- Income statement and balance sheet analysis – liquidation value scenarios.
- Estimate of net asset value.
- Discounted cash flow analysis:
- What is the firm worth privately?
- What are the assets actually worth?
- In a liquidation scenario or in a takeover scenario, what is the firm worth?
- Comparison of company to industry multiples – market valuations, ROE, earnings vs. the market.
- Doesn’t buy based on P/E or book value alone.
- Portfolio based on value and margin of safety.
- Focus on core holdings within each sector.
- Absolute return focus.
- Due diligence (tour companies).
- Deep industry understanding.
Catalyst for change
- Dan and his team look for a catalyst or a “free option” with potential investments; these are pockets of value or expected business changes that may not be reflected in the current price of the security.
Dan's investment philosophy
- IA Clarington Focused Balanced Class
- IA Clarington Focused Balanced Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Corporate Bond Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income Class
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income GIF
- IA Clarington Strategic Income Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Income GIF
- IA Clarington Strategic U.S. Growth & Income Fund
- IA Clarington Tactical Income Class
In an environment where many quality companies are trading at elevated valuations, where should investors look for value stocks with attractive long-term potential?Read summaryLire le sommaire
Dividend growth opportunities in the U.S. and CanadaDividend growth opportunities in the U.S. and Canada
It’s one thing to pay a strong dividend, but quite another to maintain and grow it over time. In this video, portfolio manager Donny Moss explains why he focuses on identifying high-quality businesses with attractive potential for consistent, long-term dividend growth.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Small- and mid-cap (SMID) stocks have historically offered superior alpha opportunities, but risk-conscious investing in this space requires an active, highly selective approach focused on quality, growing companies trading at attractive valuations.Read summaryLire le sommaire
The outlook for global growth is improving, and one sign of this trend is the uptick in business investment.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Uncovering alpha opportunities in a rapidly changing worldUncovering alpha opportunities in a rapidly changing world
The accelerated pace of technology-driven change is creating both opportunities and risks for global equity and fixed-income investors.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Global equity valuations have rarely been more challenging, but portfolio manager Joe Jugovic is still finding opportunity in select areas of the market.Read summaryLire le sommaire
The markets have had a great start to the year, and the conditions for continued positive momentum are beginning to take shape...Read summaryLire le sommaire
The last month of 2018 was a difficult one for equity investors, but for Joe Jugovic, it was a perfect opportunity to top up his positions in some of his favourite value names.
Market turbulence and economic headwinds have many investors on edge...Read summaryLire le sommaire
This past year was a challenging one for investors, but Clément Gignac believes opportunity lies on the other side of recent volatility.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Many investors are concerned about recent market volatility, but not so for portfolio manager Peter Prattas.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Finding opportunity in an elevated risk environmentFinding opportunity in an elevated risk environment
Market volatility and slowing global economic growth are widening the gap between winning and losing asset classes and securities....Read summaryLire le sommaire
Capturing alpha opportunities across the market cycleCapturing alpha opportunities across the market cycle
In this wide-ranging video commentary, Eileen Riley provides an update on the performance of IA Clarington Global Allocation Fund...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Rising interest rates and widening spreads have been major headwinds for many fixed-income funds recently...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Many industry analysts suggest we’re in the later stages of the current market cycle...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Being a disciplined value investor requires an ability to break from the crowd and invest amid widespread pessimism...Read summaryLire le sommaire