Dan Bastasic, Senior Vice President, Investments, is the lead portfolio manager for the iA Clarington Strategic family of funds as well as the IA Clarington Tactical Income Fund. Dan joined iA Clarington in 2011. His expertise is in the equity and equity-income categories along with the high yield and investment grade corporate bond sectors.
Prior to joining iA Clarington, Dan was a lead portfolio manager on several fixed income, equity income and balanced mandates at a large Canadian investment firm. Previously, Dan was an analyst at a large Canadian utility company.
Dan has over 20 years of investment experience. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree (finance) and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University Of Windsor, a Chartered Financial Analyst designation (CFA), and is a member of the Toronto CFA Society.Dan Bastasic Investor Brochure
Learn about Dan's philosophy
Award-winning manager Dan Bastasic seeks to provide investors with stable income options. He uses a value-oriented bottom-up approach, analyzes his equity and fixed-income positions using the same process, and is constantly monitoring and fine tuning his portfolio for tomorrow’s opportunities by maintaining a 12-month strategic outlook on the markets. He acts as both a portfolio manager and analyst, and uses his analysis of equities and bonds to generate the “best ideas” for the portfolio.
- Value-based investment bias.
- Combine fundamentals valuation and quantitative analysis to identify opportunities.
- Use macro analysis to identify systemic risks and opportunities.
- Focus on absolute returns.
- Manage portfolio risk through diversification and currency management.
- Safety of income.
- Cash flow sustainability.
- Earnings consistency.
- Quantitative analysis.
- Business and industry analysis.
- Income statement and balance sheet analysis – liquidation value scenarios.
- Estimate of net asset value.
- Discounted cash flow analysis:
- What is the firm worth privately?
- What are the assets actually worth?
- In a liquidation scenario or in a takeover scenario, what is the firm worth?
- Comparison of company to industry multiples – market valuations, ROE, earnings vs. the market.
- Doesn’t buy based on P/E or book value alone.
- Portfolio based on value and margin of safety.
- Focus on core holdings within each sector.
- Absolute return focus.
- Due diligence (tour companies).
- Deep industry understanding.
Catalyst for change
- Dan and his team look for a catalyst or a “free option” with potential investments; these are pockets of value or expected business changes that may not be reflected in the current price of the security.
- IA Clarington Strategic Corporate Bond Class
- IA Clarington Strategic Corporate Bond Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income Class
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Equity Income GIF
- IA Clarington Strategic Income Class
- IA Clarington Strategic Income Fund
- IA Clarington Strategic Income GIF
- IA Clarington Strategic U.S. Growth & Income Fund
- IA Clarington Tactical Income Class
- IA Clarington Tactical Income Fund
- IA Clarington Tactical Income GIF
For Larry Sarbit, market history is full of lessons for those willing to learn them...Read summaryLire le sommaire
With major equity markets reaching all-time highs, investors are looking for answers...Read summaryLire le sommaire
iA Clarington portfolio manager Terry Thib discusses his positive outlook for the global economy...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Pierre Trottier discusses why he believes the bull market in the U.S. will continue...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Clément Gignac shares his thoughts on the Canadian and U.S. economies and his expectations on U.S. Federal Reserve decisions for 2017…Read summaryLire le sommaire
The IA Clarington Inhance SRI Funds portfolio managers Andrew Simpson, Dermot Foley and Jeffrey Lew answer questions regarding opportunities for 2017...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Larry Sarbit answers questions regarding the current environment for U.S. equities, including why he’s holding a high cash balance, his investment philosophy on cash…Read summaryLire le sommaire
Ian Cooke answers questions on investing in Canadian small caps including, his expectations for 2017, whether...Read summaryLire le sommaire
David Taylor answers questions regarding his current outlook for North American equity markets including…Read summaryLire le sommaire
Dan Bastasic shares his outlook into the next year and beyond including his views on earnings growth and if there’s still...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Finding quality opportunities in North American marketsFinding quality opportunities in North American markets
Terry Thib answers questions regarding investing in a low-yield, low-growth North American environment including...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Brad Radin provides an update on the IA Clarington Global Opportunities Fund and discusses a range of topics...Read summaryLire le sommaire
Jeff Sujitno answers top-of-mind questions impacting fixed-income investing in this “lower for longer” market.Read summaryLire le sommaire
Active InsightsPoints de vue actifs
Market Insights - Jun 22, 201722 Jun 2017
Market Insights - Jan 5, 20175 Jan 2017
Market Insights - Dec 7, 20167 Dec 2016
Market Insights - Nov 21, 201621 Nov 2016
Market Insights - Nov 9, 20169 Nov 2016